- Charity partnership encourages people to lend an ear and potentially save a life with launch of #BrewMonday campaign
- Proceeds from special edition cupcakes available to buy at Scotmid to help raise vital funds for the Samaritans
Scotmid Co-Operative and suicide prevention charity, Samaritans, are calling for people across the country to hold #BrewMonday events throughout January to raise awareness and support those battling loneliness and isolation as the season of winter blues hits its peak.
Today (Monday 15th January) is often said to be the most depressing day of the year and presents the ideal opportunity to take time out and be there to listen to a friend, family member or colleague who may be struggling to cope. Loneliness is one of the main reasons why people get in touch with Samaritans, and lending an ear over a tea or coffee will not only boost someone’s mood but could help to save a life – in the time it takes the average kettle to boil, 23 people will have called Samaritans for support*.
Scotmid announced Samaritans as its charity of the year partner in August and from this week, the retailer will sell special edition vanilla cupcakes with lime and white chocolate icing from Grahams Bakery, with 75 pence from each £1.99 pack of four going to the charity. Scotmid is aiming to raise £300,000 through the year-long partnership to allow the charity to listen to 60,000 more calls from people needing their support.
John Brodie, Chief Executive of Scotmid Co-operative said: “We are proud to be helping our Charity of the Year partner, Samaritans, to be there when it matters. More and more people are calling Samaritans, with 10 people a minute reaching out to their volunteers. We hope our partnership and the launch of #BrewMonday will allow Samaritans to help more people living with challenges in Scotland.”
Samaritans’ Executive Director for Scotland, James Jopling, said: “Challenging feelings aren’t seasonal and we know that day to day pressures can build up and become overwhelming. Last year we received 300,000 additional calls than the previous year, meaning our partnership with Scotmid and fundraising events like #BrewMonday create a huge opportunity to raise much needed funds to ensure that we can keep being there when it matters.”
People are also encouraged to donate to the cause by texting 70070 with the message ‘SMID70 £5’ to donate £5.
- Find out more about Brew Monday here
- Anyone can contact Samaritans for FREE any time from any phone on 116 123. This number won’t show up on your phone bill. Or you can email email@example.com or visit samaritans.org to find details of your nearest branch.
- Samaritans is a charity and it’s the public’s kind donations and more than 20,000 volunteers that mean we are always there for anyone struggling to cope. Find out how you can support us at samaritans.org/supportus.
- Text SMID70 £5 to donate £5 and help fund a call to Samaritans